Saturday, January 1, 2011

The Unscratchable Itch

While sitting in a pew at church
I had an itch it made me lurch
And bend and stretch and reach and perch
Quite like an oak, willow, or birch

My arms like hands upon a clock
Around they ticked my mom was shocked
She said be still act like a rock
Like sister Sarah or brother Brock

They sit like angels bout every week
They listen so while Pastor speaks
But if she must a switch she'll seek
To calm me down to make me meek

The itch it started right on my thigh
It moved right up right to my eye
Across my belly it made me cry
And crossed my back thought I would die

And closed my eyes and then I prayed
That this ol' itch would go away
And then in church yes I could stay
I'd sit quite still I wouldn't sway

And then it stopped right then right there
The itch was gone my life was spared
Thought all was fine that all was fair
But then a gnat buzzed by my hair