Friday, December 24, 2010

The Giver

At the mall in St. Mary
Bogart sat on Santa's knee.
Asked him for a real monkey,
But Santa said, "Well, let me see. . . "

"I weighed your good and bad this year
And I believe, no I'm quite clear
That on my list that I've got here
Your name does not on it appear."

So Bogart asked, "What can I do?"
"Comb your beard or shine your shoes,
Wash your sleigh, I'll do that too,
Or cook for you some turtle stew."

"Yes, you may do those things for me
But that's not quite enough you see,
The scales still tilt quite heavily,
So more is needed it does seem."

Bogart stood for hours in line.
It seemed he'd wasted all his time.
He left the mall, yes far behind
Away from windows, stores that shined.

And sitting there right on the ground
Outside the hustling bustling town
Was a bearded man his skin was browned,
He said, "I'm Jesus and it's you I've found."

He said, "I'll give you all I've got,
Watch over you both day and night,
Turn your blackness into white."
But Bogart said, "That can't be right."

"There's just too much for me to do
To earn Your gifts your presence too."
"I think I'll go I'm feeling blue
And in my guilt I will just rue."

Then Jesus said, "You cannot earn
My love and gifts that you so yearn.:
"It's you I choose no need to run."
"Let's live this life, let's have some fun."

Then Jesus took him by the hand;
They swam the ocean, hiked the land.
Bogart played in His rock band
And through the night the music jammed.

Mobs of folks began to crowd
The addicts, prostitutes, the rowdy
Gathered there around and loudly
Danced and sang and then they bowed.

And silence swept across the horde.
A cripple came then many more,
The homeless, hungry, and the poor
From many countries cross the world.

Soon the music began again,
The stars came out, the city dimmed.
Bogart looked around and grinned
He felt completed, full of Him.
That man so strange, Who was condemned
Who gave His life for all of them.